We were on vacation in Florida for a couple of weeks and I came across these at a roadside stand on Pine Island. I thought they were so cute that I just HAD to try it! Luckily, our friend, Joe, who happened to be the recipient of the Recycled Flower Garden Art had a coconut lying around and gave it to me. We cut some palm fronds and I brought it all back to Illinois. The palm fronds didn't dry very flat, because they were in the car, but I think they worked out just fine.
You will need:
- Dried coconut - I didn't prepare the coconut myself, but Joe said he found it and just left it out in the sun until it dried.
- Palm frond - cut it let it dry flat, if possible
- Acrylic paint in various colors
- Eye screw - I have a tendency to call it an "O" ring in the video (I don't know why), but it is an eye screw
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Drill a hole in the top of the coconut and screw in the eye screw.
2. Paint the fish two different colors - one for the face and one for the back.
3. Further decorate with paint and designs, I opted for polka dots because they are easy and fun!
4. Trim palm frond and paint.
5. Paint black circles for eyes and add eyelashes, if desired.
6. Add white highlight on eyes.
7. Allow to dry.
8. If you are keeping it inside, you can leave it as it is.
9. If you are going to hang it outside, spray with a polyurethane satin or gloss clear finish that is made to go outside.
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!!