Here's a fun and easy craft in time for Father's Day!
- Wire hanger
- Modge Podge, glue or decoupage finish
- Acrylic paint (any colors you want)
- A block of wood, or piece of wood
- Two glass beads
- Satin polyurethane spray (optional)
- Tools to help bend wire
- Thin wire (optional)
- Hot glue
Here's the tutorial to see how I did it:
1. Bend wire hanger to the shape you want. It doesn't have to be a fish, so use your imagination! It can be an abstract sculpture or whatever!
2. Cover shape with pantyhose. Trip off excess. You will lose some definition when you put on the pantyhose. (Ladies - hopefully they gave use definition when we were wearing them!). You can either use a dab of glue (hot glue is good) and adhere it to the hanger. Or, you can use a thin wire and poke it through the pantyhose and twist it around the wire hanger (see video tutorial).
3. Use Modge Podge, decoupage finish or a white glue and you are going to do 8-10 coats. The drying time will take the longest. So plan on AT LEAST two days.
4. When the coats have dried, you can paint any colors you want. Go realistic or totally outrageous! Let it dry.
5. Use a permanent market and draw pupils on the glass beads. Hot glue glass beads to the fish.
6. Find your base and drill a thin hole so the sculpture can slide right in.
7. I sprayed mine with a satin indoor/outdoor polyurethane. If you are keeping it inside, that's optional. I also took a high gloss polyurethane and went over the eyes to give them shine.
8. If you are putting on furniture, put little felt dots under the base to prevent scratching.
9. Enjoy your sculpture.
I would LOVE to see what you guys come up with! Share here, on our Facebook page, or send me an email!
Happy Crafting and Happy Father's Day!