One of my YouTube subscribers, Alyssa, asked me to make an angel tree topper. After giving it a lot of thought, I wanted to keep it simple. I decided to use mostly recycled materials.
You will need:
- Brown paper shopping bag
- White acrylic paint
- Gold acrylic paint
- Black fine permanent marker
- Red permanent marker
- Unfinished wood ball
- Hot glue
- Thin wire
- Yarn or rope for hair
- Flesh acrylic paint (optional)
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Cut open the paper bag, so it lays flat. Then fold a portion of it over and cut a semi-circle, so when you unfold it, you have a full circle. Cut the circle in half.
2. Paint both sides of the semi-circle white and allow to dry.
3. Cut two angel wings from some of the remaining paper bag scraps and paint with gold acrylic paint - front and back. Allow to dry. Tip: When you do the wings, leave a little tab so it's easier to glue on. See the video if you want to see the tabs I left on the wings.
4. Roll the semi-circle into a cone and hot glue together. Allow to cool.
5. Snip off the pointy part of the cone, so your head has a place to rest. Take the wood ball and hot glue it to the top of the cone, for the head. Allow to cool.
6. Fold the tab back on the wings and glue wings onto the cone.
7. Cut two "L" shaped pieces from the leftover scraps, for the arms. Paint both sides white. Allow to dry.
8. Draw eyes and mouth on the face, with the permanent marker.
9. Decide how long you want the hair, cut it and glue it into place.
10. Tie a ribbon around the waist.
11. To make the halo, you need wire. Twist the wire around something circular, to make the round shape. Twist the end together and leave a tail. Bend into an "L" shape. Run a thin bead of hot glue around the top of the halo and sprinkle with gold glitter. Hot glue halo to the back of the head - trying to hide the end in the hair.
12. Glue some ribbon around the neck - I did that to hide hot glue.
13. Glue on arms and then glue hands together to make her look like she is praying.
14. Paint hands a flesh color.
15. If you want to make her more sparkly, or if you if you need to cover up any hot glue, use glitter and make it look like it was on purpose!
I hope you like it. Thank you Alyssa for challenging me!
Happy Crafting! Merry Christmas!