This is a great craft and gift for Valentine's Day or any occasion. This heart contains a secret message, or wish for the person you give it to. They will never know it's inside. Or, you can make it for yourself and put the name of a secret crush or a wish you hope to come true inside.
1. Put I Love You inside for your husband or boyfriend.
2. Put Best Mom in the World in and give it to your mom for Mother's Day
3. If you know someone battling an illness, give it to them with a message of Good Health or You Can Beat This! inside.
4. For a friend, put a note inside, Best Friends Forever or just BFF
You can make it as an ornament, or wear it as a pendant.
What you will need:
- Salt clay - here is the link to the recipe I used: Salt Clay Recipe
- Heart mold
- Eye screw
- Red acrylic paint
- Disposable paint brush
- Resin - I used Easy Cast
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Make the clay according to the directions on the recipe - it makes way more than you need, so either scale down the recipe, or have some other crafts in mind!
2. Press the clay into the heart mold - you need at least two halves. When you are pressing in the clay, make sure you don't fill up the whole cavity. The heart is going to be hollow. Allow to dry.
3. Remove the hearts from the mold. I sanded the flat portion to get a smooth edge and to help it fit better on the other half of the heart. Paint the inside of both hearts.
4. On a small piece of paper, write a note that you want to put into the heart. Roll it up.
5. Paint the inside of the heart with the red paint. Allow to dry.
6. Put the note into the heart and use a good glue that is paintable to attach the two halves. Put them together and allow to dry.
7. When dry, use some sandpaper to sand and clean up the seam where you glued the two halves together.
8. Paint entire heart red - allow to dry - it might take two coats.
9. Drill a hole in the top of the heart and screw in the eye screw. Remove it. Put some glue in the hole and screw the eye screw in again and allow to dry.
10. Touch up any paint, if needed and prepare your resin.
11. Brush resin onto the heart and let it drip dry.
TIP: I used a disposal cup and a skewer to hang the heart from while it was draining - you can see it in the video. That creates a neat way to let it drip with no clean up.
12. Every once in a while, dab the bottom of the heart, so you don't get a big drip on the bottom as a permanent part of your heart.
13. Let it cure at least 12 hours before handling.
Hope you like it and give it a try! Happy Crafting and thanks for stopping by!