Saturday, June 29, 2013

Wine Cork Trivet Craft Tutorial

I received a wine cork trivet, as a gift from a friend many years ago.  We still use it all the time and it has withstood all the use very well.  Now, that one was completely handmade from the frame to the corks being from actual bottles of wine they drank.  Mine is a little less authentic than that, but I am neither a woodworker or a heavy wine drinker, so I had to make due despite my shortcomings.

You will need:

-  Wine corks - You can probably get them at a number of places, or if you wanted to make them from corks of a particular wine to personalize it, then start drinking!  Otherwise, mine are from Oriental Trading Company.  The package came with two different sizes.
-  A frame - I found this at Walmart, in the craft section.  It was just the size I was looking for.  I don't know if they call it a frame, or a wood canvas.  Either way, it worked.  It was unfinished, which you will see in the video.
-  A strong glue
-  Wood stain, or watered down acrylic paint and a good sealer/varnish/polyurethane top coat.
-  Filler pieces - this might be optional, depending on the frame and cork sizes you use.  I had a little room left over, after I had the corks placed.  I found some wood pieces at the craft store, cut them down, stained them and they fit right in and I think it looks like a decorative accent, so it all worked out.

Here is the video tutorial:

Directions:

1.  Prep your frame.  You can build your own, or buy a premade one, like I did.  I couldn't find a small can of black stain and didn't have any need for a large one, so I watered down some acrylic paint, let it dry and went over it with a good topcoat.
2.  Arrange your corks.  This might take a little time until you find out a good configuration.  You may need to get creative with filler pieces like I had to.
3.  Glue in your corks.
4.  Let everything dry really well.

Now you have a great piece that's functional and attractive!  Think what a great hostess gift this would be!  You can always personalize the frame to fit any decor.

Thanks for stopping by!  Let me know what you think!  Remember to send me pics of any crafts you are working on.  On Wednesdays I have Whatcha' Been Doin' Wednesday video I post on YouTube, featuring crafts that you all have been working on!

Happy Crafting!

Mona


No comments: