You will need:
- Your coaster mold (see below for the link to the video)
- Dried starfish - Mine were provided by Oriental Trading Company - www.orientaltrading.com
- Sand (I used play sand from the home improvement store, but sand from the beach would definitely work!)
- Resin - I use Easy Cast. If you should have any trouble finding it, go to www.eti-usa.com
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Prepare your mold and your resin. Here is the video on how to prepare your mold:
2. Separate the resin into two cups. In one of the cups, begin to mix sand with the resin. Make sure it is well mixed and make sure you have enough to cover the bottom of the mold.
3. Spread it around until it is as smooth as you can make it.
4. Take starfish and press gently into sand.
5. Take resin and drip it over the starfish. This is to seal the starfish in homes it will then prevent future bubbles, during the final pour.
6. Allow to sit and cure for at least one hour, but I did mine for 12 hours, just because I was gone for that long.
7. Mix another batch or resin and pour over the starfish and sand. Doing this in two pours allows the sand to stay in place during the second pour and it prevents the starfish from trying to float to the top!
8. After 12 hours, unmold it and trim off anything that might have leaked under the edges.
That's it! Enjoy your new coaster!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!