You will need:
- Craft foam
You will need large sheets. I had a hard time finding large sheets, but I did find a roll of it at Michaels!! Yay!
- Duct tape
- Hot glue
- Narrow black ribbon
- Black trim
- Black glitter spider
Here is the video tutorial. I would suggest watching it to get a better understanding of how it all came together.
1. Take a string and tie it to a pencil. Make the string as long as you want your hat tall.
2. Working from the corner of your foam, put the free end of the string onto the corner of the from. Place a finger on it and hold it firmly. Stretch the pencil back, making the string tight and straight. Place the pencil on the foam and draw from one end of the foam to the other. You are drawing a curve.
3. Cut it out.
4. I wanted to be able to bend my hat, so I taped in a piece of wire.
5. Put a strip, or two on one of the straight edges of the foam. Only half of the tape will be on the foam.
6. Bring the cone together, it may take a little doing, and use that tape to put it together. The tape should be on the inside of the cone.
7. Now it's time of the brim. Take your string and make it as long as you want your brim to be wide. Now fold it in half.
8. Put it in the center of a piece of foam and hold the free end of the string with your finger. Use it to draw a circle on the foam.
9. Cut it out.
10. If your foam is curling, like mine was, lay it flat on a table and apply a little heat to it. I used my heat gun. It worked, just be careful not to add too much heat, or you may melt the foam.
11. Fold the brim in half (don't actually crease it) and cut a hole. Open it up and keep cutting until it fits your head.
12. Hot glue the cone onto the hat.
13. Take the narrow black ribbon and glue it along the seam on the back to help hide it.
14. Now is the time to decorate. You can glitter the whole thing. I decided to keep it a little more simple and monochromatic, so I could accessorize with any colors I wanted. I glued trim around the cone and I added a glitter spider.
That's it! Have fun with it! Send me pictures! Happy Crafting and Happy Halloween!