Monday, November 11, 2013

Fall Leaves Coaster

I love the fall leaves and the vibrant colors.  In an attempt preserve nature's beauty, I decided to make fall leaf coasters.





You will need:

-  Coaster mold
*Go to the Products I Use tab and it will take you to the Amazon link, where I bought mine.
-  Resin - I use Easy Cast http://www.eti-usa.com
-  Fall leaves - pressed for at least a week, under a heavy book
-  Clear glue or sealer
*I used Mod Podge and I'm not sure why it became cloudy, but it did.  I've been doing a little experimenting since then and I used Aleene's Clear Tacky glue and brushed it on the front and back of the leaves and allowed them to dry.  Next time I will do that and then pour a first layer and either lay the leaf in the wet resin, or just glue a few dots on the back to tack it.  
-  Food color - optional

Here is the video tutorial:



Here is where I improved on the process:


Directions:

*This is how I did it, but if you read above with the Mod Podge, I probably wouldn't do it quite like this again.

1.  Pour enough to cover the bottom of the mold and let it set for at least 12 hours.
2.  Seal your leaves with Mod Podge, or some other clear drying sealer.  Allow to dry.
3.  Affix the leaf to the resin.  Knowing what I know now, I would tack it to the resin with a clear drying glue.  Allow to fully dry.
4.  Pour your next layer of resin over the leaf, making sure it is completely covered.
5.  Allow to set for at least 12 hours and then unmold!

Now you have your very own preserves bit of Fall!

Happy Crafting and thank you for stopping by!

Mona

1 comment:

Dawn N said...

I just searched for answers on how to preserve leaves this weekend and had decided to go with a glycerine water mix. I wonder if you did that then used resin. ??? That may be overkill though...