Amazon

AD

Thursday, March 27, 2014

DIY Wedding Coaster - Another Coaster Friday

To stay up on the latest, be sure to 
You can click right HERE!  

For easy reference, click on the Tutorials tab above.
Also, I created an Amazon store link, with items that I use in my crafts, just click on the
Products I Use above!


It's Friday again and I have been asked several times to make a wedding coaster.  So I did.


You will need:

-  Coaster Mold
-  Resin (I used Easy Cast - if you are looking for it internationally, go to www.eti-usa.com)
-  Transparent blue resin dye
-  Transparent red resin dye
-  Glamour dust
-  Half pearls (if they stick by themselves, no glue needed, otherwise glue)
-  Gold jump rings
-  Ring sticker (I found that one at Hobby Lobby)
-  Mold release optional (seems to help the molds last longer, but works fine without it)

*I have all of the items linked in the Products I Use above, otherwise I also have them linked below.  I could not find the ring sticker on Amazon, but you could use other stickers too.

Here is the video tutorial:






Directions:
1.  Prepare your resin, according to the package directions.  Split into two small cups.  Put blue dye into one cup and mix well.  Add red dye to the second cup and mix well.  Add a little glamour dust and mix again.
2.  At the same time, pour both colors into the mold and let them meet in the middle.  Mine did not mix as well as I had hoped, so I used a toothpick and swirled them a little.  I was hoping I would have a bunch of purple in the middle.  Guess I'll have to keep trying!
3.  Let it sit for 12 hours.
4.  Stick your sticker onto the coaster.
5.  Stick your half pearls onto the coaster, around the rings.
6.  Add jump rings around the pearls.  The jump rings will not float, so there is no need to glue them.  The pearls will float, unless they have sticky backs, so you may have to carefully glue them down.
7.  Prepare more resin and pour over coaster.
8.  Let it sit for at least 12 hours.
9.  Unmold it!

That's it!  Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!

Mona




1 comment:

Andy M said...

Mona, that came out great! You answered my question about a 2 color resin pour. Now I know if I want a stark line with little color blending I should use the dyes, where as alcohol ink trends to blend by itself a bit better (especially with a toothpick helping).
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the jump rings around the pearls. I never in a million years would have thought of that. It gives the appearance they are in a mounted like they'd be if on a ring. Thank you so much for that idea.