Amazon

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Garbage to Gorgeous Episode #1: DIY Owl Stool Makeover How To

To stay up on the latest, be sure to 
You can click right HERE!  

For easy reference, click on the Tutorials tab above.
Also, I created an Amazon store link, with items that I use in my crafts, just click on the
Products I Use above!

I'm starting a new series called Garbage to Gorgeous and this is the first episode/post!  I was out for work and came across a stool that looked like it was dirty and had peeling paint, but otherwise in good shape.  I hopped out of the car and sure enough, it seemed pretty sturdy.  Into the back of the car it went, and off I went.  Be sure to follow my blog and YouTube channel, to make sure you don't miss any episodes!

Here is the transformation:


You will need:

-  Stool
-  Chalk paint - I found the blue paint at Home Depot
-  White and tapioca acrylic paint
-  Baby pink acrylic paint
-  Parchment or tapioca and white acrylic paint
-  Clear protective sealer
-  Owl stencils - I found them at Hobby Lobby
-  Paint and stencil brushes

Here is the video tutorial:



Directions:

1.  Clean your item.  If it's new you can skip this step, if you garbage picked it, clean it!  I use warm water mixed with a little bit of bleach.
2.  Scrape off any loose paint.  I also used 100 grit sandpaper and went over the whole thing to rough it up a little and get any remaining loose paint and dirt off, and then I used a damp cloth to wipe up any dust on the piece.
3.  I began by painting the legs with a chalk paint I found at Home Depot.  It's called American Decor.  I did two coats, letting it dry between.
4.  I had to fill a hole with wood filler, as there was a hole on the top of the stool.  I let it dry and did a quick sand to let even out the surface.  Again, I took a damp cloth to wipe up any dust.
5.  I took parchment colored and white acrylic paint and put them side by side in a dish.  I took my paint brush and put both colors (side by side) on my brush.  Then, I painted the stool seat with both colors at the same time.  It gave it a very subtle streaked look.  I did not want a solid white.  It took two coats.
6.  I took the stencil and stenciled on four owls.  I used the same owl because I wanted to stay consistent with the size.  
7.  I let the stencils dry and with the end of a marker, I dipped it into the chalk paint and made dots for eyes on each of the owls.  
8.  After the eyes were dry, I used a clear gloss protective finish over the whole seat.  I did two coats.  When I did the third coat, I took a paper towel and lightly wiped it off.  That gave me a little more of a satin finish that I was going for.  

That's it!  It can be used as a stool, or even as a small side table.  

Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Crafting and Happy Garbage Picking!!!

Mona



No comments: