Are you looking for a crowd pleaser for your Super Bowl party? This is it!! These are the best damn brats and sauerkraut you will ever have!
The recipe for the brats is from my husband and the sauerkraut is from my mom.
This is party and comfort food. It tastes good, but I'm not going to pretend it's healthy....but then who wants healthy food for the Super Bowl?!??!?!?!
You can make these the day before and just heat them up and have them be ready for people to eat. No need for anyone be stuck manning the grill all day!!
This recipe is for 12 brats, but you can easily expand this recipe to make as many as you need!
You will need:
- 12 Brats
- Sauerkraut - I used a 24 oz can and a 14 oz can
- Bacon - How much bacon your use is at your discretion.
- Onions - five large - any kind you want
- Butter - a stick and a quarter
- 1 Apple - any kind
- Beer - feel free to use cans of inexpensive beer
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Peel and cut four of your onions. Cut them into thick slices and put them in a large pot.
2. Add a full stick of butter.
3. Add beer. You need enough beer to cover the onions and the brats you will adding later. Put it on the stove, over a medium heat, and let it start to heat up and cook, while you prepare the brats.
4. Take your brats and brown them on the grill. You don't need to cook them all the way through, but you do want them browned.
5. Add to the onions, beer and butter. Allow to come to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Feel free to let it simmer for two to five hours.
While the brats are cooking, you can start on the sauerkraut. This too can be made the day before. If you are making either dish the day before, be sure to refrigerate it overnight and then heat it up just before the party.
1. Put your sauerkraut into a strainer. Rinse the sauerkraut well with cold water and let it drain.
2. While the sauerkraut is draining, cut up an onion and put it into a pot. The onions should be chopped pretty small.
3. Add a quarter stick of butter.
4. Add bacon. The bacon should also be cut small.
5. Have the bacon, onion and butter heating up on a medium heat, until the bacon starts to brown.
6. Add sauerkraut.
7. Peel and chop and apple and add half of or the whole apple to the sauerkraut.
8. Heat until the apples are soft.
That's it! Serve it up any way you like! Be sure to have buns, mustards and ketchup on hand! People can use the sauerkraut as a side dish, or to put on top of the brat as a condiment!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Eating!