I was asked to make a Batman coaster, for one of my subscriber's birthdays, so that is what I did!
You will need:
- Coaster mold
- Resin - I used Easy Cast because it is low odor, you can use Envirotex Lite too.
- Chunky black glitter
- Fine silver glitter
- Fine dark blue glitter
- Bat signal emblem - I printed it using a laster printer, on card stock. If you want to use an inkjet printer, I would suggest doing a little research on how best to keep the ink from smearing.
- Super Gloss Mod Podge
Here are some of the items available through Amazon, incase you want to give it a try. I included the laser printer I use. I have been asked many times about it and I am very happy with it. I have had a Minolta and a Brother in the past and I was very unhappy with both. I'm behind HP printers all the way (not a sponsored statement).
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Prepare your resin according to the package directions.
2. Add chunky black glitter and a little fine silver and a little fine dark blue glitter. Mix well.
3. Pour into your mold. Allow to cure at least 12 hours.
4. Find a Batman symbol or bat signal and print it out, or cut it out of a magazine or wherever you may find one. I used a laser printer and card stock to create mine. I cut it out and used a black Sharpie marker to color the edge because I don't want there to be a white edge that will be seen when you apply it to the black glitter background.
5. Once the resin has cured, take your Mod Podge and apply it to the back of the bat signal and on the whole face of the coaster. Place the bat signal on the coaster and apply more Mod Podge on the front of the bat signal.
6. When everything is covered, use your finger to smooth it down and/or reposition it.
7. Allow it to COMPLETELY DRY! Do two additional coats to make sure everything is sealed. FYI: You want to do multiple coats so the paper is sealed and the resin won't create dark spots on the paper. You want to make sure the Mod Podge COMPLETELY DRIES, otherwise you will have a permanent cloudy film that will never go away.
8. Prepare more resin and pour over the coaster.
9. Allow to cure.
BAM! POW! ZAP! Another coaster for your collection!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!