Today I am preserving fall leaves in resin to make coasters!
You will need:
Coaster mold: http://amzn.to/2d46ahE
Easy Cast Resin: http://amzn.to/2cdL8NH
I also used Fast Cast Resin: http://amzn.to/2cscr87
Pigment Powders: http://amzn.to/2cdL0gR
Mod Podge to seal the leaves: http://amzn.to/2d469dl
Black pigment dye: http://amzn.to/2d46YmK
Purple pigment dye: http://amzn.to/2cCxpvs
Blue pigment dye: http://amzn.to/2cCxBe7
Parchment paper: http://amzn.to/2cdKsYE
Here is the video tutorial:
This project is so easy, but I messed up mine. 😔 I messed mine up because I wasn't patient enough. So walk away from it when you should! Keep your hands off!
1. Working on parchment paper, lay your dried leaf down.
2. Mix your resin, according to the package directions. I used Easy Cast for mine.
3. Using either a brush or just by dripping the resin onto the leaf, dome it. You can pick which side you want to work on first. If I were to do it again, I would probably start with the back side. When you dome it, you create a layer of resin on top of the leaf, but you don't want to have it run over the sides.
4. If you are preserving the stem, make sure to get it covered in resin. I took my stir stick to remove any excess.
5. Allow it to cure and them repeat on the other side.
Coasters using mold:
1. Brush pigment powders onto the mold. I did a combination of blue and purple. Tap off any excess.
2. Mix resin, according to the package directions. I used the Fast Cast because it saves me time. You can use the Easy Cast as well.
3. I mixed two ounces. Mix in the pigment colors into the different resins. Since I used the Fast Cast, it cures white, I added more pigment color than I normally would with the Easy Cast. I added blue pigment, a little bit of black and I stirred in some blue pigment power. The other one was purple pigment, a little bit of black and mixed in purple pigment powder.
4. Pour the mixed resin into the molds and let it cure.
5. While it is curing, you can seal the leaves you plan on using. Brush them with Mod Podge on the front and the back. Allow to fully dry.
6. Once cured, glue the sealed leaves onto the resin. You only need to tack them down.
7. Once the glue has dried, mix two ounces of the Easy Cast resin and pour into the mold.
8. Pop bubbles with your lighter and allow it to cure.
That is it! Now you have stunning Fall coasters!
Thanks for stopping by! Remember: Life's too short not to shimmer, so grab your glue gun and your glitter! ™ Stay safe!